SustainabLINKS November 2, 2014
- Ever wondered what people where talking about with this Anthropocene. Michael Schoon has a nice brief overview.
- Vox.com discusses why bike share users tend to be wealthier despite the fact the poor are more likely to use bikes as their main form of transportation.
- Earlier Vox also featured an interesting discussion of possible reasons why carpooling has declined in America. I wonder how the so-called sharing economy will even further effect this trend.
- Vox was really on a Sustainability tear this week with an interesting article on dams stemming out of a new paper cataloging dam building plans around the world.
- Climate Change as always merits several mentions:
- The big news this week was the release of the IPCC’s Synthesis report. For a synthesis of the synthesis check out National Geographic’s five takeaways or Vox’s seven.
- Ruth Graham reflects on how a previous energy transition (from wood to coal heating) can assist us in the one we confront now.
- If Chile can do it why can’t we? Chile implements a carbon tax cover more than half of their emissions.