SustainabLINKS August 11, 2014
Seems to be a lot of discussion about food system sustainability recently:
- The “evidence” which shows the harmfulness of GMOs to human health doesn’t stand up well to critique.
- Irradiation of seeds is one method used in traditional crop breeding. Not so traditional? “Traditions” usually are not.
- It is not surprising that the number of farmer’s markets are no longer increasing so fast, but the more interesting information would be whether the number of vendors and shoppers per market is increasing.
- The author of this post asks: why do most people (including conservationists) persist with diets that are so clearly damaging to the environment? This is a question we all need to be asking.
- A non-food article! Ontario has made incredible progress on eliminating the use of coal, some reasons are unique to it’s situation, but there are many lessons to learn.
- Bets on new technologies are risky and don’t payout right away but its looking like another one of those infamous Department of Energy loans is going to work out pretty well. We need more of this!!