- First in the Nation : The amazing part to me is that despite of the success of SOS, I do not know of any other universities that have created a free-standing, research, teaching and outreach unit dedicated to Sustainability.1)I am sure there are places that would take exception to this as academics like to split hairs over definitions and every university defines its units differently. But if there is one like SOS, I would like to know-banish my ignorance! Most programs are only teaching, or only research, or are part of another department etc, SOS continues to stand alone.
- Great Careers : Sustainability can be a challenge for a career for several reasons: 1) no accepted career path 2) enormous range of possible employers (how do you prepare) 3) few employers are familiar with what the degree means 4) people hiring are NOT Sustainability people and often prefer someone with their background and an interest in Sustainability (e.g. engineers hire engineers, businesses like business majors etc. 5) few institutions are interested in the type of transformative changed studied at SOS, which can be a big let down.
- Support and Guidance : I can confirm that SOS recognizes the importance of staff far and beyond what is typical of elitist academics.
- Financial Assistance 
- Sustainable Campus, or Walking the Talk  : What is most amazing about ASU's commitment to "walking the talk" is the scale. We are not talking about some little rural campus where a single wind turbine can power the whole place. ASU is demonstrating that change can happen on a city level scale!
- Vibrant Community 
- Meaningful Internships : I had the opportunity to set-up some internships several years back and I can attest to the seriousness with which the institution takes creating internships that actually are parte of the culmination of your academic career and form bridges to the real world.2)They even published an academic paper  describing the important place that internships occupy in the Sustainability program.
- Undergraduate research opportunities… 
- Make a difference, and others may follow : SOS is certainly a community which fosters a culture of difference making, from small daily actions to big global changes.
Footnotes [ +  ]
|1.||↑||I am sure there are places that would take exception to this as academics like to split hairs over definitions and every university defines its units differently. But if there is one like SOS, I would like to know-banish my ignorance!|
|2.||↑||They even published an academic paper  describing the important place that internships occupy in the Sustainability program.|